Monday, April 11, 2011

My Grandfather Went Out On A Saturday Night

my mum (middle) between her sisters


My grandftather died last Saturday night. He went out that night (badam-bam-ching!). He was my mums father. I didn't know him well because he lives in Makassar, and I only drop by about max. once a year.

All I know is that he was a man that means well, very stubborn, and loves to 'shout' rather than use the human friendly frequency (I wonder if I'm part dolphin?). But I do remember, as a kid, he use to take care of me when mum needed to multitask. He's a great nurturer to kids, especially when he was still a bit younger and stronger. He still took great care of my cousins when they were little which wasn't long ago.

My mum is getting older. I was anxious how she would deal with it. I just called her. She seemed to have a sore voice, I suspect because of some deal of crying. I asked her where she was at the time, I was ready to calm her down... and this was her answer:

"Oh iya Nuni (my nick), ini Mami lagi makan-makan ama semuanya. Makan coto." (Oh yes Nuni, I'm just and eating out with the family. Eating Coto.) In the background I could hear my aunts laughing, my uncle joking around, and I bet my dad was just keeping his cool as always. With a bit of a jaw drop, I wondered, so... where's all the tears? Beats me, but I'm glad they accepted it well. Death is part of lives, and it's not something we can reverse. They do say, it's easier to cross over if no one cries for you too long. So I guess my mum and whole family wants grandpa to cross peacefully.

He did die at home, which is a good thing, and because he was really old. It was his time I guess. I know that they love him, as hard as he was. I sure do even though I didn't know him that well. I have one or two memories of him taking good care of me, and at least without him, I wouldn't be here. 

May his soul rest in peace.

3 comments:

rani said...

my condolences munc.

it's like when my grandpa died. felt like he had finished all his earthly business so everyone can let him go, sort of. it's not that we weren't sad, but he died peacefully surrounded by his children and that's probably the best way you can wish for

Vira Tanka Z said...

innalillahi wa innaillahi raji'uun

so.. what about the deceased bataknese? sure is hard for them to cross over since the women cry their lungs out (not only tears) when a family dies.

mumun said...

My condolences to the Bataknese then :P.

Thanks guys