Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Cambodian Bind


Me and my friend were stranded in the woods of Wetar one day, waiting for help since our car had a flat tire but had no equipment to change it. There was nothing to do, too much has been said, and a nap is all that is left undone. So as I tried to daze off in the passengers seat, I looked up in to the trees and stroke the fresh cool air I saw my bracelet. Click!


This is my Cambodia bracelet. I got it when I was visited Angkor Wat last year. It was tied on to me by a holy man of the temple complex. It’s a bind of prayer after I got my fortuned told. There should be no worries in my fortune, he says, and his prayers were to assure that.
It’s not a Moslem teaching to believe in fortune telling especially from another religion but for some reason, I kept that bracelet on till today. I believed its prayer, a prayer that will help me into a good life.
But there was a time, exactly a year after this bracelet was bind on to me, I wanted to cut it off. I had a low point in my own believes and I though that getting rid of this item would further me of what I didn’t believe in, hoping it would make me closer to what I did believe in. I almost cut it off. But I didn’t.
I came back to the point where I believe all prayers are good, no matter what religion we’re from. I believe it as I believe that a good deed is a good deed no matter what who did it, from whatever religion, or from those with no religion also.  And a little red band would not define what I believe in.
Now, I keep the bracelet for 2 reasons: as a reminder that I’ve been to Angkor Wat, and as a reminder that I should not symbolize things in totems. Hmm a totem reminding of what totems should not be. Sounds pretty twisted hey?

3 comments:

Vira Tanka Z said...

whoaa... somehow I'm glad you didn't cut it off..

some masseurs have wanted to take my bracelet off or cut it and I always firmly said no to them. I want this little red tie hugging my left arm forever and ever.. Why? just for the sake of nostalgia that I've been to one of the most exotic places in the world, and a reminder of the advice that the holy man said about me. whether or not he could really see right through me or tell my fortune, I found some righteousness in it...

rani said...

like this, mun :)

mumun said...

Thanks ran.

Khihihi.. May we all use it to remind us of things needed reminding.