Wednesday, May 19, 2010

To write or not to write...the question is good?


Everyone is writing. Everyone has a blog. Yet, are we all writers?
     
After a poor research, writer is defined as:

1. a person engaged in writing books, articles, stories, etc., esp. as an occupation or profession; an author or journalist. (is blog writing considered story telling?)
2. a clerk, scribe, or the like.
3. a person who commits his or her thoughts, ideas, etc., to writing: an expert letter writer. (yes, we are writers by this definition)
4. (in a piece of writing) the author (used as a circumlocution for “I,” “me,” “my,” etc.): The writer wishes to state….
5. a person who writes or is able to write: a writer in script.
6. Stock Exchange . someone who sells options.
7. Scot. a lawyer or solicitor.
(taken from: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/writer)

Well, by definition number 1, 3, and 5, all who writes are writers. Thus anyone that writes words randomly is considered a writer. Being a writer seems to be so hip today. Sally, a friend of mine pointed that out, that everyone is somehow in a café or food court r somewhere typing on their laptop, expressing themselves. They all have something to say or write about. But not all are privileged with the status as a writer. I guess the question probably is, are you a good writer? Are you significant amongst those who write? Come to think of it, all blog writers are actually stimulating the publishing world. Those that write well would get publish, or for the case of being online, have a lot of readers. Those that write crap, stays crap. I think I am amongst the crap :P

As I once blogged, in my opinion good writers are those that have something to say, something significant, relevant. Well at least that’s my opinion. On that note, I know what I should write about if I ever do, even in the form of a blog. It may not be significant, but it could be relevant. One reason is indohoy.com.  I still have a good feeling about it, and that it’s a necessary website. Other reasons, well you’ll probably find out.

How to be a good writer? That’s another challenge. But as I recall from a comment of this blog, you can learn how. The most significant tip I got is, rather than spending time chatting and facebook-ing and browsing or sleeping (darn this!), wanna be writers should just write. And they should always remember, it’s hard work to make it anywhere. I paid my due since I got sick a few days uploading indohoy stuff and getting not enough sleep. But I don’t think that’s enough… d’oh!

But one thing is for sure, every writer that writes honestly and unforced is the best writer. And I've just realized that this applies to myself. And I will try to remind myself of the feeling when writing anything at all. But to think we are all writing… are we all reading?

Talk about reading…

Dear Karen Armstrong,
I’m sorry but your book was eaten by my dog. I guess she was a bit restless about the theme when she saw it on the table one night. She probably read the book and got upset before she ever finished. She has issues. Oh well! Again, I’m sorry. I know there are more of your books published anyways and I’ll read this one till I’m done. I’ll tear it up if I don’t like it in the end. I'm not like Michelle, I don’t judge a book by it’s first few pages.

Sincerely,
Mumun

2 comments:

Stanilawksy said...

hear hear for everyone is a writer, but is it a good one? :D

anyho, i am now more concerned on steve jobs advise: "don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice"

guess i would like to write something that derioves from my own thinking effort (since i have a lot of sparetime now) *descartes mode on*

Anonymous said...

try give your dog some richard dawkin's books mun maybe she likes it ;)