Wednesday, July 7, 2010

And the neighbors are whispering…


I have underestimated the power of dangdut. I've never been so sure why the Indonesian people love it so much either than because the singers wear relatively  skimpy clothes and they move really sexual as in sex positions and moves :P.  But since I've been exposed a lot to it, I've come to realize, there is a whole different league underneath the shallow surface.
Singing to it in karaoke mode as loved by many Indonesians , I realize dangdut uses so much metaphores that even to my logic is geniusly exaggurated and still remain tacky.  Let me use an example:

-Bisik-Bisik Tetangga-
Originally sung by: Elvy Sukaesih
Bisik-bisik tetangga mulai terdengar selalu ditelinga,
Sehingga menusuk di kalbu
Mengapa engkau harus menyimpan sekuntum mawar merah dibalik kelambu hitam?
Pabila dirimu ingin mencari hiburan, tapi sekurang-kurangnya jangan jual kasih sayang
Walaupun cintaku kau anggap layu di tanggan, tapi sekurang-kurangnya tempat memadu kasih sayang
Dia memang cantik, merayu semakin menarik
DIa memang lincah, selincah burung merpati.

Translated:
Neighbours are whispering in my ears,
and they're starting to bother my concience
Why must you hide a red rose behind a black mosquito net?
If you're looking for entertainment, at least don't sell your love
Even though you think my love is dying in you hands,
But at least you have a place to share love
She is beautiful, her teasing is seducing
She is frisky, as frisky as a dove

Exactly.!! WTF??? What does this mean? I didn't understand it either. Red rose behind a black what? Entertainment by selling love? A person moving like a dove? Really?
But to the Indonesians this means everything:
Why look for another when you have me (wife/husband) to love you even though I'm your compromise love.

The entire song is telling us about the neighbours gossiping because the significant other is having an affair somewhere.

That's all it's saying. And although it's saying a simple message, it's expressed to the max in sentences that will definitely lift your eyebrowse. There is so much more metaphors used in dangdut, things that would never EVER pop in my mind EVER! Did I say ever?

Dangdut is very melancholic and poetic. A poetic level that is so tacky as if there is nothing else there is in this world either than Love. (And isn't that what this world suppose to be?) It's written by simple minds, head over heals by Love may it be happy or sad, rewarding or disappointing, betrayal of others or by gold or the parents will.

Not to mention the technique of singing dangdut is really hard. They have what you call a cengkok. Pop singers always have difficulty to sing dangdut because of this. It's like R & B singing with all the vibrations and modifications. It's a Melayu thing. Because Wetar and this dangdut antics, I have a bigger appreciation towards dangdut. I understand more of what the Indonesians are about. After a dangdut session, they're all happy and ready for the next day. It's a story and remedy for us. And who ever wants to understand Indonesians, should always start singing dangdut. Seriously!

I use to say that I like the old dangdut songs, but I delete that. I like all dangdut songs because they mean so much more on a different level. And I will always love it as long as I don't have to listen to it too much. 10% of my whole music genre would be enough :D

Eventually I enjoy singing to it, especially if the other employees join in and dance to it. I feel like a dangdut singer, in a corset, miniskirt and boots, ready to be thrown money at. I feel special :).

No comments: