Saturday, July 10, 2010

To Be Happy and Congratulated...

It was ma birthday ... it was ma birthday..... *doing birthday dance*

And yes, I finally hit the big 3. I'm 30 and actually quite proud to say it! Being 30 is... different. Usually, every birthday morning I chant my age to my self... 'Today, I'm ... '. OK it’s a bit tacky, but it’s my way to feel my age. It didn't feel much different throughout my 20’s, except for 29 because it was coming in 30. But on the 30th…

It was different, because it was more to...'ok ok... I kinda get the picture now' feeling. In a sense a bit wiser, in my own portion of course. I can see that there's more to life and there's not much more to it. Life is life, it's just what it is. I feel 30 although I still felt 22 just before my birthday. And I think I still feel 14 when I’m on weekends. Shouldn't everybody?

It wasn’t a smooth transition. I had a meltdown, shouldn’t you have one? Contemplating on what you have done in life, what you have achieve, what you wanted, what is in store in the future, your failure, your downside, the things you don’t want and avoid… shouldn’t you have a meltdown as part as the process?

Another thing that I learned was the meaning of congratulating someone on their birthday. In the Indonesian language, saying ‘Happy Birthday’ is actually ‘Selamat Ulang Tahun’ which means ‘Congratulations on your Birthday’. If it was a ‘Happy Birthday’ it would translate to ‘Ulang Tahun yang Bahagia’. That’s interesting. It’s a different context for Indonesians maybe. We congratulate those that have reached a certain age. Is this philosophically connected to the fact that in a developing country death is merely around the corner? Who knows? *shrug*

I thought it was all just BS. Now, never dreaming to be 30, I realize it is some achievement to reach such age. Think about it, you didn't get killed playing too much while you're a kid, you didn't kill yourself during hormonal teenage rage which was the hardest period of my life, you didn't give up when you had to feed yourself, and you didn't slit your wrist when the person you loved didn't love you anymore… you survived! We should all congratulate each other after passing so much.

So ‘Selamat Ulang Tahun’ to me. And a Happy Birthday to me. And to all that will and had a Birthday. It is no doubt something you should celebrate.

1 comment:

Vira Tanka Z said...

yay!!! celebrate a birthday like you celebrate life! err.. whatever that means..
oh i know.. you feel 14 when you're playing dress up with me!! hahahaha...

everything has its ups and downs, and yes, like you said, life is, after all, just life. There's really not much to it. but you can do so much with it. depends.

hm, never thought about the difference between Happy Birthday and Selamat Ulang Tahun. Congratulation! you're a year closer to death! except if you're Benjamin Button.. you're a year further from death, yet a year closer to death at the same time. err. yeah.

No no, I'm sober.

:D